About a year ago now I started crafting the Legendary Weapon, Chuka and Champawat. Originally I started crafting The Dreamer but when Chuka was released and I found out about you could carry Tiger Cubs on your back I just had to have this instead. Although I haven’t quite completed crafting the final Legendary tier, I thought I would post a guide telling you about the process as it’s very long and has a lot of additional collections to complete.
As this weapon was released after the Heart of Thorns expansion, it requires the Maguuma Mastery Legendary path to craft this which also makes this weapon account bound and unable to sell (which means you can’t buy it either). So unfortunately… if you want this weapon, you’re going to have to go down the painful route of crafting…
But before you start, you need to have the Central Tyria Legendary Crafting – Revered Antiquarian mastery unlocked and a Huntsman at least level 400.
This is the Achievement log for the collection located in the Achievement tab under Collections, Legendary Weapons. Firstly you need to speak to Grandmaster Craftsman Hobbs (in the crafting area in Lion’s Arch) to buy the Chuka and Champawat Vol 1 recipe for 5 gold and 10,003 karma (I don’t know why it’s 10,003 and not 10,000… it just is).
This will now unlock the collection and you can start your crafting journey! So going from left to right of the collection:
1. Hunter’s Journal. This is an item that needs to be crafted. Firstly you need to pick up the recipe from Bagred the Hunter in Snowden Drifts. He will give you a recipe for “Crude Leather Book” which you will need a level 400 Huntsman to craft. You will need 12 Cured Thick Leather Squares, 6 Thick Strings (3 Cured Thick Leather Squares per string) and 40 Elder Wood Planks to craft this. When you have crafted this talk to Bagred again to unlock the next collection. Bagred can be found where I placed the 🐱
2. Completed Hunter’s Journal. Creating the Hunter’s Journal and speaking to Bagred will unlock an additional collection which needs to be completed to be awarded the Completed Hunter’s Journal (see picture below). There are 19 steps to this collection which require you to go to certain places throughout the world to complete. It’s fairly easy to follow but here’s my Hunter’s Journal Guide if you require it. The trail you will follow will also lead you to some tiger dens for the achievement “Spirit of the Tiger” (which will reward you with 11AP and a Mini Tiger Spirit) so it’s a good opportunity to do this achievement at the same time.
3. Hunter’s Kit. Again, talk to Bagred and he will give you the recipe for the Hunter’s Kit. A level 400 Huntsman is needed again to craft this. You will need 15 Cured Thick Leather Squares, 15 Thick Leather Strings, 15 Elder Wood Dowels and 15 Elder Harpoons (2 Elder Wood Planks and 2 Mithril Ingots per Harpoon). Once crafted, this will complete this section of the collection.
4. Tiger Musk. This is an item dropped rarely from killing tigers. You will need to go to the HoT areas to find Tigers to kill. I went to Teku Nuhoch in Tangled Depths for this and only had to kill about 4 tigers before the item dropped, but that may have just been luck so keep going if you don’t get the drop straight away. Verdant Brink is probably the place with the most tigers, so there is your best chance.
5. Warm-Up Hunt. For this achievement you need to Kill the Boar in the “Hunt and slay the Giant Boar” event located in Queen’s Forest in Queensdale. If the event is not active then speak with Lodgemaster Carthage in the hunting lodge to start the event. The event happens roughly where the 🐱 is displayed.
6. Seraph Medal of Stealth. This item is purchased from Seraph Watchman Morina in Brisban Wildlands. You need to complete the Heart “Help Hinder Scotta’s Bandits” in order to access the items available to purchase. The medal costs 420 Karma.
7. Hunter’s Bane. This part of the collection requires you to complete the event “Defeat the largos before it kills Silent Snowfall” in Snowden Drifts. This is the 3rd event in the cycle of this train of events, so if this part isn’t active when you get there just keep completing the events until it progresses to this event or wait until the even cycle resets if there are no events happening at the time.
Completing the Vol 1: The Hunt collection will award you the Chest of the Hunt. This contains Essence of the Hunt and the Recipe: The Hunt (requires level 450 Huntsman to craft). You will now be able to craft The Hunt and here is what you will need:
- 1 Hunter’s Short Bow String (3 Elonian Leather Squares, 100 Memories of Battle, 100 Shards of Glory)
- 1 Hunter’s Short Bow Stave (4 Spiritwood Planks, 100 Memories of Battle, 100 Shards of Glory)
- 1 Legendary Inscription (10 Globs of Ectoplasm, 5 Piles of Crystalline Dust, 1 Orichalcum Plated Dowel, 10 Elonian Leather Squares)
- Essence of the Hunt (from The Chest of the Hunt)
This is what you will get… A very wonky, deformed stick somewhat resembling something that could be a short-bow. Kind of disappointing for the effort, I know, but if you want Chuka and Champawat, it’s what you’ve got to do…